la tessitrice

A Certain Slant of Light - Laura Whitcomb I haven't been reading nearly as many books as I used to and I am trying to get back into the habit. I bought this book some months ago but finally got around to reading it, and I am so glad I did it. It is beautifully written, an intriguing premise, and is a wonderful exploration of religion, the concept of sin and Heaven and Hell, without being at all preachy. You feel for the main character, Helen, who has been a ghost ('Light') for many years and the ending, when her story is truly resolved, made me sob. Which was more than a little embarrassing, since I was on the bus at the time.The book is categorised as Young Adult, but the character of Helen actually died as an adult so her thought processes are mature, and this is far above the current crop of YA supernatural books in terms of writing quality and themes. It's perhaps not as earth shaking as some other books I have read (I'm thinking along the lines of His Dark Materials), but for a relatively short read you can't go far wrong with this.